The new version of Joomla 2.5 was released this week that includes new features like extension updates and multi-database support of Microsoft SQL Server.
What is Joomla?
Joomla is an open source Content Management System (CMS) that enables the users to create websites or online applications.
The earlier versions of Joomla were compatible only with the MySQL databases. Now, with the Joomla 2.5, we also get the support for Microsoft SQL Server.
To install Joomla, you can use the Microsoft Web Platform Installer. The Microsoft Web Platform Installer 3.0 is a free tool from Microsoft that lets you get the latest components of the Microsoft Web Platform. These include Internet Information Services (IIS) , SQL Server Express , .NET Framework , Joomla , DotnetNuke etc.
1. Download and install the Microsoft Web platform installer from Microsoft Download Center.
2. Start the Web Platform Installer 3.0 and search for Joomla in the search textbox. This will display the result of the available applications for Joomla. Click the “Add Button” in the Install Column and click the Install Button.
3. This will show you the form where you could select the database to use. Interestingly, you will see the SQL Server in the list 🙂 . Select SQL Server and Click Continue.
4. Review the list of third party applications that needs to be installed for Joomla to work like IIS Express, SQL Server etc. Click “I Accept” button
5. The download and installation of Joomla and the required components should start immediately.
You can also download Joomla 2.5 from the Joomla website